Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Favorite Scripture

favorite scriptures ; a short devo on 1 Tim 4:12


If you're religious at all, you probably have a favorite scripture. My bible is underlined, highlighted, notated, all sorts of things. However, there is always one verse that I will come back to over and over and over again. 1 Timothy 4:12 ; Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. (NIV)





1 tim. 4:12

This is a verse I heard probably hundreds of times before it actually sunk in and I found it for myself. I think that actually finding the verse yourself is so important and usually one of the reasons a verse becomes a favorite. About six years ago I came back from camp and was reading through my bible when I came across this verse and it hit me like a ton of bricks. This verse was talking about me, talking to me.

Sometimes as young people in church we can feel unappreciated, undervalued, and sometimes like we don't really matter. Sometimes I think, "Where do I fit into the God's plans?". The answer is that I fit, and so do you. All of us that are in these confusing young adult years are so important to God. In fact, young people are one of the most vital parts of a local congregation and the church. We are the future. We are the people who will be the leaders soon. Without us, the congregation wouldn't be able to survive. Young people help the church grow and flourish. I also think young people can serve as amazing inspiration to others in church.

We've all heard people talk about how little kids will watch what you do an emulate you, and it's entirely true. As teens and young Christians, we set examples for those younger kids. They look up to you so much, and we are given the choice to set a good example or not. Obviously God thinks we can be a great example, or he would not have given us that verse. We can also be examples to those older than us as well. I once had a fellow brother tell me that if he ever had a daughter, he hoped she would be like me. That filled me with such joy, to hear that I was doing something right and that I was being a good example. Sometimes an older member of your congregation will tell you how they liked a comment you made, or how you're inspirational to them.

As young Christians, everyone in the church has their eyes on you. We're the future, and we have a great ability to set a good example to everyone - believers and non believers. Even in times of trial, or times where our faith is wavering, we need to remember that God believes in us. He knows that being a young person of faith can be hard, but he gives us 1 Timothy 4:12 as a reminder that we are examples. So go out and be that example that God knows you can be.

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in love, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys!