Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Boyhood | A Movie Review

Boyhood | A nostalgia movie you should see

Boyhood (2014) is a movie directed by Richard Linklater, starring Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, and Lorelei Linklater. This movie definitely doesn't stray far from the title, truly feeling like you are watching a documentary of young Mason's life, from the time he's 5 through his first few days of college at age 18. As many already know, the movie was filmed with the same cast over the course of 12 (!!!) years. This in itself is an amazing feat. I mean, how many actors would sign a contract for a twelve year movie? Not many. Technically, I believe they only signed on for 8 years, because the contract couldn't be any longer. And what if something had happened to any of them? Making this movie was a huge gamble on everyone's parts. So many things could have gone wrong, but instead the movie turned out so right.

While the run time is at almost 3 hours, it didn't feel that long to me. Some have said they found the movie boring and dull, but I think that is what was so captivating to me about it. I didn't feel like I was watching a movie. I really felt like I got to see this kid grow up into an awesome young man. I was rooting for Mason, cheering him on the whole time. Plus, high school me would have totally been crushing on high school Mason, no lie.

Boyhood | A Movie Review


For me, the movie was like a giant throwback to my childhood. While Mason is technically a few years younger than me, so many of the stages he went through were stages that I did growing up. At one point some of the kids go to a Harry Potter premiere all dressed up. I have definitely done that. Mason's younger sister starts out the movie singing Britney Spears. Are there any of us who can say we didn't do that? And while I may have laughed at some of the outfits worn by all the characters, I know I was wearing the same thing back in the mid-2000s.
Mason is an introspective kid who isn't afraid to challenge authority when he needs to. While only seeing snippets of his life you come to understand who Mason is, watching him grow and mature into someone who is dealing with many of the same questions most of us are. What do I want with life? Where am I going? How can I do everything I want to do? It really hit home with me.

And don't get me started on the cast. Ellar Coltrane as Mason was amazing to watch. So understated and wonderful, especially because he started so young and hasn't done much work outside of the movie. I hope to see him in more movies in the future! And obviously Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette were incredible, as evidenced by their mutual Golden Globes noms and a win for Patricia. Patricia even went on to sweep the awards show season with her stellar performance. Also, A+ to the casting department, because Ellar and Ethan look like they could be father and son. It's almost a bit creepy, but made the movie all the more believable.

Boyhood | A Movie Review


But overall I would absolutely recommend you see this movie. You'll laugh, cry, and take a walk down memory lane. While this movie may not be for everyone, seeing it once is well worth it. This movie is incredible. The only reason I'm giving it 4 1/2 stars out of 5 is because I won't give anything a perfect score.

BOYHOOD:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys!